Chairman of Consob (Commissione nazionale per le società e la borsa) from 9 April 2018 to 13 September 2018.
Born in Milan, October 19, 1966.
Married, three daughters (born in ‘97, ‘99 and ‘01).
- Since Apr./May 2018: Chairman of Consob (Commissione Nazionale per le Società e la Borsa) and Chair of CEMA (Committee of Economic and Markets' Analysis) of ESMA.
- Since Sep. 1994: Commission of the European Union: Economist, appointed after an EEC general competition.
- May 2016-Apr. 2018: Director for financial system surveillance and crisis management. Commission's representative at FSB, EBA, ESRB.
- Apr. 2011-May 2016: Director for Regulation and Prudential Supervision of Financial Institutions. Commission's representative at Basel Committee, EBA, EIOPA.
- Nov. 2009-Apr. 2011: Head of the Unit "Banking and Financial Conglomerates", within the Regulation and Prudential Supervision Directorate.
- May 2004-Oct. 2009: Head of the Unit "Financial Market Infrastructure"; between December '07 and May '08, Acting Director for Financial Services Policy and Financial Markets.
- Apr. 2001-Apr. 2004: Member of President Romano Prodi's Group of Policy Advisers at the European Commission.
- Nov. 2000-Apr. 2001: Member of Mario Monti's cabinet (Commissioner for Competition Policy).
- July 2012: Harvard Business School: Leading with Impact, one-week residential management course.
- Sep.1992 ‑ July 1996: London School of Economics, Ph.D in Economics.
- Sep.1991 ‑ Sep.1992: Université Catholique de Louvain: Master of Arts in Economics.
- Sep.1985 ‑ Sep.1989: Università Bocconi, Milan: Undergraduate degree in Economics (Laurea summa cum laude).
- Sep. 1980- July 1985: Liceo Classico Tito Livio: Grammar High School, main subjects Latin, Greek, Italian. School leaving certificate (maturità classica) of 58/60.
- Language skills: Italian mother tongue; English and French fluently spoken and written, good knowledge of Spanish; basic knowledge of Russian.
- Since 2013: Solvay Business School (Brussels): Professor of European Economic Integration at the Advanced Master in Financial Markets.
- Since 1998: Visiting professor of "European Economic Policy" and of "Economics of European Integration" at Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi, Milan.
- 1999-2005: Lecturer of European Political Economy and Co-Director (with C. Altomonte) of the Diploma in EU affairs at the Diplomatic Institute of the Italian Foreign Office (ISPI), Milan.
- May 2016: "Bank Regulatory Reform Supporting Growth: the way out of the safety trap" in Filling the gaps in Governance: the Case of Europe, edited by Franklin Allen, Elena Carletti, Joanna Gray, G. Mitu Galati published by EUI.
- Apr. 2008: "Constrained Flexibility" as a Tool to Facilitate Reform of the EU Budget", Public Finance and Management (co-authored with Marco Buti).
- Nov. 2005: "Economics and Policies of an Enlarged Europe", 400-page textbook for graduate courses published by Edward Elgar, (co-authored with C. Altomonte).
- June 2004: "L'allargamento dell'Unione Europea: questioni finanziarie, di competitività e di crescita". l'Industria, Il Mulino (n. 2/2004) edited by A. Mosca and E. Letta.
- Dec. 2003: Co-editor (with André Sapir) of "Economic policy-making in the European Union". Proceedings of the first four meetings of the Group of Economic Analysis, Luxembourg, OPOCE.
- July 2003: Rapporteur of "An Agenda for a Growing Europe-The Sapir Report".
- May 2003: "Towards a European Budgetary System", EUI Working Papers RSC 2003/8, May (co-authored with Marco Buti).
- Nov. 2000: "La Finanza Europea": 200-page textbook for graduate courses published by Carocci Editore (Roma, Italy).
- May 1996: "Optimal fiscal and public expenditure policy in a two Class economy" Journal of Public Economics (with F. Schroyen and M. Marchand).
- Several sports (long distance cycling, ski, swimming; field hockey and football coach).
- Since 2013, Board Member of the APEEE (Association des Parents de l'Ecole Européenne).
- Since 2016, Board Member of the Scientific Committee of EastWest (Geopolitical Magazine).